- Pass out a small slip of paper to each student.
- Ask students to write a "fortune" on the slip of paper in a complete sentence. I use the slide (image below) to guide their fortune writing. I place emphasis on the no death/dismemberment section because, let's be honest, middle schoolers love that kind of gore and, though it catches their attention, it has no place in the ELA classroom.
- Have students fold up their fortunes and place them in a hat/container.
- Redistribute the fortunes by having each student choose one out of the hat/container.
- Read the fortunes aloud and see what their futures hold! Note: they LOVE doing this part!