Monday, February 16, 2015

Writing Quality Constructed Response Questions

During the last post, I discussed my main strategy for teaching my students HOW to answer constructed response answers.  Rigor is often a topic that is discussed at professional development meetings that I attend/facilitate.  How can we create an accessible but rigorous curriculum?  how can other content areas support what we are doing in Language Arts?  How can content areas be assured that they are hitting the literacy standards for their area?

Creating quality constructed response questions can help emphasize analysis and using textual evidence in ANY content area and can help increase RIGOR.  We're really talking about asking students reach at least level three in the Depth of Knowledge Levels.

First, I share with teachers three ways to create a quality constructed response question.

Then, I share the rubric that is used by our state.  I always encourage teachers to use the rubric that is on the state assessment so that students are familiar with exactly what is expected.  This also allows teachers to gauge where students are during their class work.


No comments:

Post a Comment